Robotic Field Service Technician
AMP Robotics is a pioneer and industry leader in artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, and infrastructure for the waste and recycling industry. We apply AI-powered automation to economically and sustainably improve our global recycling system.
Headquartered in Louisville, Colorado, the Denver Post and BuiltIn Colorado have recognized AMP as one of the state's top workplaces. AMP also has operations and career opportunities outside of Atlanta and Cleveland, as well as in Europe. We’re fostering an environment where passionate individuals can grow and create impact. We seek unconventional thinkers to join our mission to enable a world without waste; at AMP, your contributions have meaning and can spur change. With backing from top-tier investors and national recognition including North American Cleantech Company of the Year and Forbes’ most promising AI companies, we’re always seeking ways to better our operations, raising the bar on innovation, and looking to collaborate and improve in what we do. Learn more at AMPRobotics.com.
AMP Robotics is seeking a Robotic Field Service Technician reporting to the Manager of Field Services. This person will need to be within a commutable distance to a major airport and located in the United States.
This person will focus on virtual and on-site assistance of our recycling partners as they work to keep AMP products operating at peak performance 24/7. You will be tasked with creating and maintaining customer facing service documentation, coaching recycling partners via multiple communication paths on how to maintain and troubleshoot AMP equipment (phone, email, text, ticket systems), visiting recycling facilities to perform hardware/electrical maintenance, propagating software change information to customers, collecting customer feedback on the performance of AMP products, maintaining positive customer relationships, and proactively monitoring systems – seeing issues before they occur and looking for opportunities of customer engagement.
In a nutshell, you will be the first touch point for AMP customers who have questions about AMP products or require AMP service assistance. This position can expect up to 75% travel and requires some on-call work in order to help customers install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment.
As our Robotic Field Service Technician, in the first few months you will work to:
- Work directly on an AMP robot installation to learn design philosophies, features, and functionality; as well as understand the challenges of remotely supporting equipment around the world.
- Participate in multiple AMP device commissions to understand the software and hardware puzzle pieces that fit together to ship a quality product.
- Learn to use AMP’s cutting edge, proactive maintenance tools to diagnose system issues.
- Learn to calibrate, operate, and troubleshoot AMP Robotics products and internal tools.
- Field incoming service tickets as the first point of communication with AMP’s recycling partners, expertly triaging and prioritizing needs.
- Meet with internal AMP resources - experts in the field of machine learning, software development, and recycling economics - gaining an understanding of AMP’s capabilities and how they align with customer needs.
In the longer term, you will:
- Provide remote and onsite customer support and equipment repairs
- Act as a point of contact for customers, understanding customer needs, and resolving customer issues in a timely manner.
- Train customers on how to perform common repair work, complete required maintenance, and self diagnose or resolve system issues.
- Complete trip reports and site visit summaries.
- Track work hours via AMP systems to ensure accurate billable hours.
- Work with Site Reliability Engineers to identify areas of high customer risk and create mitigation plans.
- Close the engineering feedback loop by systematically reporting unique, high-frequency service requests, performance concerns, or hardware failures.
- Guide the transition process from installation to service through seamless technical communication with internal teams and take-over-certificate review.
- Consolidate and maintain AMP service documentation (including videos, podcasts, interpretive dances, etc.) into an internal and external knowledge base - becoming a super-librarian for a greener planet.
- Evaluate product concerns against specifications and warranty coverage.
- Process customer warranty claims via Salesforce.com.
- Train and mentor new members of the Service team.
- Other field service tasks.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 3-5 years hands-on field service experience servicing equipment at customer locations as well as remotely.
- Experience effectively communicating with multiple levels and skill sets within an organization.
- A strong technical hardware or field engineer/technician background (practical experience preferred but not exclusionary).
- Ability to travel on a moments notice to service customers at their locations.
- Comfortable working in the field at a customer site and in an office environment.
- Highly proficient with common field tools (tap/die, impact drills, grinders, multi-meter, etc.).
- Imaginative and open mind for problem solving.
- Ability to work equally well in a team or solo environment.
- A desire to learn something new everyday, then teach a teammate.
- Extremely resourceful - known as a person who “finds a way to get it done.”
- Demonstrated ability to work long hours in difficult situations (heat, dust, small spaces, tight deadlines, etc.).
Note: If you DO NOT precisely fit the below qualifications but you DO believe you would excel in this role, we encourage you to apply! AMP is looking for mission-driven, creative problem-solvers. We recognize ideas and background diversity can be strong business assets.
- Previous experience in a customer facing, coaching, or teaching role, preferably in a technical field. Experience in a technical training environment.
- Process or documentation creation examples (Gnatt charts, P&IDs, process flows, etc.).
- Examples of audio-visual presentations and/or writing samples.
- Demonstrated examples of automating or outsourcing work tasks.
- Real world experience using data to improve efficiencies and make fact-based decisions.
- Experience with industrial controls (valves, sensors, actuators, control systems).
- Experience with robot firmware - e.g. RAPID, ACE, Ladder Logic.
- Experience with electrical wiring, manufacturing techniques, on-site assembly, installation, and service of mechanical systems.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Education and experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent; Tech/Associates degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience performing Field Service Technician
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience servicing, or knowledge of, robotics and AI products or related equipment
- Outstanding customer service presence and attitude with professional presentation
- Self-organized with a willingness to exceed customer and company expectations
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must maintain a valid state-issued driver’s license and excellent driving record
- Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus, and ability to accurately see and label color. (remove if not a requirement).
- 1875 S. Taylor St. Louisville, CO 80027
- Up to 75%.
AMP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hourly Rate Information: $31-36/hr
Equity Grant: The candidate selected for this role will be recommended for a stock option grant commensurate with the position and the candidate’s qualifications.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Medical - The company covers up 85% to 100% of the premium for Cigna medical healthcare plans depending on the selection. Employees pay the difference in premium if they select a more expensive plan. Up to 75% for dependents.
- Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability.
- Life Insurance: The company covers the cost of Basic Life / AD&D 1 x Salary, option to purchase additional through New York Life\
- HSA Eligible Health Plans
- 401(k) retirement plan (non-matching).
- 14 days Accruing PTO
- Benefits start the day you start
- 6 Accrued Sick Days.
- Eight (8) paid holidays, 2 Floating Holidays